If you are like me and prefer owning separate boxes for releases, rather than a one boxset that crams a trilogy into a single sleeve, then you will be just as excited as me to hear that The Lion King 2 and The Lion King 1 1/2 (can also be known as The Lion King 3) will be getting separate boxset releases early next year. Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment announced that on March 6, 2012 these two movies will be getting the high definition Blu-ray treatment as separate special edition releases.
Currently you can only buy these films as a boxset in The Lion King Trilogy Blu-ray 3-Movie Collection.
Check out the box art and trailer below:
Bonus Features: The Lion King 2
- Timon & Pumbaa’s Insectapedia – In this new animated bonus feature, Timon & Pumbaa gaze at the night sky as the star constellations resemble their favorite meal, insects!
- One By One – An original animated short with vocals by The Lion King vocalist Lebo Morake.
- Timon & Pumbaa: Find Out Why – In this series of animated shorts, Timon and Pumbaa provide answers to some of life’s most puzzling questions including: Why is there lightning and thunder? Why do we sneeze? Why don’t Pandas live in the desert? Why is there wind? Why does an airplane fly?
- Proud of Simba’s Pride – A featurette that traces the making of the movie.
- ‘Love Will Find a Way’ Music Video Performed by Kenny Lattimore and Heather Headley.
Bonus Features: The Lion King 1 1/2
- Timon & Pumbaa’s Vacation Safari – This new animated bonus feature shows Timon & Pumbaa watching home movies of their animal friends at Disney’s Animal Kingdom theme park.
- Deleted Scenes Director Bradley Raymond and Producer George Mendoza explain why these segments did not make the final film: Opening Concept #1, Opening Concept #2, Old Fearless Buzz, Timon talks to Dad, Timon, Dad & Mom, Intro to ‘Scurry, Flinch, Sniff,’ Timon & Pumbaa look for Oasis
- Timon: Behind the Legend — Hosted by Peter Graves, this mock-umentary traces Timon’s childhood. There are interviews with Timon’s mom, Uncle Max & Pumbaa, plus snapshots show him growing up.
- Before the Beginning: The Making of Lion King 1 ½ — Director Bradley Raymond and Producer George Mendoza walk viewers through the film… from before the beginning. Brad and George are silhouetted against their own film with a remote, just like Timon and Pumbaa.
- ‘Grazing in the Grass’ Music video performed by Raven.
Via Blu-ray forum, an image in a magazine announcing the release.
The Lion King 1 1/2 and Lion King 2 Special Edition will be released on March 6, 2012 for a limited time.
[Via Stitch Kingdom]